Tsunami SUT Ultra

Monday, December 5, 2011

Why I build what I build 12-5-2011

I've always loved the sound of a guitar.  I suspect you do too, otherwise you would not be here.  From the early days when my parents made me sell off the Danelectro I had purchased, until now, there is nothing quite like the siren song that a guitar can produce.
So in 2008, with all the kids grown and gone, the motorcycle bug kind of out of me, I decided that finally, I would learn some serious playing.
And about eighteen months later, trying to tackle five fret chords, I was asked why, why, why, with 39 years of woodworking under my belt, including 12 years as a professional refinisher, and years of commission building just about everything wood, why won't I build a guitar?

So I designed one and did it.  The fellow who had challenged me asked to buy it.  My wife commented, "If you think you  might do this again, why not keep the first one?'
That was, as of this writing, 34 guitars ago, with 3-4 on the books to build, not started yet.

It was a natural combination of my love of the instrument, the understanding of the wood and how to work it, and my manufacturing maintenance and electrician background all put together.
So off I went, and here we are...

People often say to me I don't charge enough for my guitars, but that's a subject I'll address in an upcoming blog post.  For now, just understand that the happiest time of any given day for me, save when I am in church, is being in my shop, working on someones new guitar.  Having my wife come down and ask why we have to sell it, or my neighbor coming by with his dogs and rubbing his hand over the smooth, exotic wood.  It all fits.  It just does.

They say some things can actually slow down your heartbeat.  For me, I really believe seeing the body of a guitar come to life is one of those moments.  Many people have asked to watch me, or to teach them, and honestly, I turn them all down.  I'm selfish...this is my time to relax, to rest, to bring to life an instrument that when played, will bring happiness.  Soppy?  Yes, I suppose.  But it's true.

Thanks for coming to my blog.  Plenty more interesting reflections, comments, information to come!!

Tsunami

1 comment:

  1. I think I speak for many if not all Tsunami owners. We are grateful the motorcycle bug left and the guitar building one bit you. I am proud to own a one of a kind instrument as I do. It will be a treasure I hope to pass onto future generations of Brzozowskis. Now if I could only convince my wife to let me buy another one.

    ReplyDelete