Tsunami SUT Ultra

Monday, December 12, 2011

Is there a NEW guitar out there that you would pay $3500 for? 12-12-2011

I was thinking this morning, about the value of things.  As I called customers on my day job, I know that some of our services where I work are expensive, but we try to give true value.  For some people, it seems excessive, but most of our field techs don't make that much, and we have an excellent reputation in our local area.  We work out of a smallish metal building, keep our overhead as low as possible, and try to pass all that along to our customers.

As I think about my Tsunami Guitar business, I think sometimes that I am charging too little.  Certainly, no one has ever, ever told me that I charge too much.  But then there is the value for the dollar thing, and in truth, I really don't want to feel like I am making more off a person than is fair.  And I'm a fairly conservative guy!!  But I've always been that way about my woodworking. 

Oh, I've seen guys try to charge hundreds of dollars for something made of wood, and since I know how many hours they should have spent, sometimes it galls me a little.  But then, beauty...and money, is in the eye of the purchaser.  Either way, I also know that people sometimes get the perception that if it's cheaply priced, it must be cheaply made.  That is not always the case, trust me...Jags can break just as fast as Fords. You are paying for a name, and a look.

So I decided to ask...is there a guitar out there, (NEW, not vintage), that you think is worth the $3500 or more they are asking?  And it could be an assembly line guitar from a major manufacturer, or a custom shop guitar.  I have to be honest...for me, no.  I'm not a gigging player, so maybe owning a tool that expensive for work would be different.  But in all honesty, I just don't see it.

And I know that since I have been in this business now for a couple years, I've managed to get into three organizations that build electric guitars.  And I know from my own woodworking and the dozens that I have built what it takes.  Although some I've seen are certainly worth more than I charge, I find anything over about $1500 to be a bit much.  Fluff going into the pocket of the builder, so to speak.
So I thought I would ask...How about you?

Tsunami

No comments:

Post a Comment